Along the Santa Fe Chapter 4 page 3
| Contents | Previous | Next |

[1919] The Move to Parker

We were glad when the winter of 1918-1919 was over. There was one snow storm after another that winter, and I think there must have been snow on the ground until spring. I know we were glad to see the spring and summer come in. The summer of 1919 saw quite a few changes. Mr. Perkins sold his store and moved to Phoenix. The store was purchased by a Mr. Sommers from Sacramento. He had a wife and two boys one about sixteen, the other boy was past twenty, married, and had a little baby boy about six months old. They all lived in the back of the store. They were real nice folks, and we became good friends. We had some good times that summer, and went on many picnics and danced and played cards.

All too soon another winter was on us and the snow started falling, and it was soon Christmas. We were getting kind of fed up on the snow, and in December the first trick job at Parker came up for bid, and we decided to try for it. So I put in a bid and got the assignment.

We packed up our furniture and shipped it on, and arrived in Parker on Christmas day early in the morning. We got a room at the hotel and had our Christmas dinner at a restaurant. The next morning we found a house at the end of the road facing the railroad tracks. It was not very far from the Colorado River. Our furniture arrived that morning, so we moved in the house and only spent one night at the hotel.

I liked the job at Parker. The hours were 6:00 a. m. to 2:00 p.m., and gave me the time in the afternoon to go fishing. We used to fish off the railroad bridge for cat-fish. There was no highway bridge across the river at Parker at that time, and you either had to walk across on the railroad bridge or cross on the ferry. The ferry was owned by a Mrs. Nellie Bush. She also owned a hotel, and was the Justice of the Peace. Later she was elected to the State Senate and served for a number of years. She was a real nice lady and we became good friends.

Parker was quite a nice little town, much different than Crown King. It was a farming district. There was a large Indian Reservation close to Parker. The Indians would come in town selling vegetables and wood. The first contact Mother had with them was shortly after we moved. One old Indian brave stopped at the house. Mother saw him coming and got the children in the house and locked the door. We found out afterwards all he wanted was to sell us some wood, and he had a kitten he wanted to give to the children. She soon got used to seeing the Indians around, and got over being afraid of them.

Along the Santa Fe Chapter 4 | Prev | Next | Contents |