Along the Santa Fe Chapter 2 page 7
| Contents | Previous |

Breaking the Monotony of Etiwanda

The section foreman, Mr. Delgado, was a Mexican, but he was a pretty nice fellow. He lived at a little siding two miles down the track. He didn't understand how to write letters and keep the time for his men, so he paid me two dollars a month to do this little job for him.

Things went along nicely. There wasn't much excitement to break the monotony. The nearest doctor to us lived in Uplands, a pretty little town about ten miles from us. We called him one day shortly after we had settled down, to look at the children. He advised that we have their tonsils and adenoids removed. He said he would perform the operation in the car if we would help hold the children and give the anesthetic, so we told him to go ahead. We made a regular hospital out of the car, and Doc went to work on them. In a couple of hours it was all over. The Doc evidently knew his business and did a good job, for the children came out of it all right and have never been bothered with them since.

Another break in the monotony happened early in 1916. We had some pretty heavy rain storms that year, and one exceptionally hard storm washed out the railroad tracks and it was a week before the trains could get through. The water also made a lake around our living quarters, and we had to lay some long boards from the porch to the depot platform, as the water came up almost to the floor our car.

After we had been at Etiwanda for a little over a year, one day we heard that the day operator at Fullerton was giving up his job. We thought we would like to return to Fullerton, so I asked the Boss if I could have the day job there when the operator left it. He told me that I could, or if I would rather take another Agent's job he would send me to Temecula. We talked it over and decided we would go back to Fullerton. So we packed up our household goods and shipped them back to Fullerton, and in December, 1916 we were moved back in our own home again. It seemed good to get back in a civilized country again, where we could see some stores and churches again. We hadn't been to church for over a year, and I guess it was time we were moving.

I liked the new job much better. The hours were from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and I could be home at night with the family.

The people who had rented our little house had left it in a messy condition, but we got it cleaned up and were glad to get back into it. The old man who lived next door to us, the one who wouldn't speak to me, had moved to Canada, so we didn't have him to contend with anymore, but we didn't get another dog.

Along the Santa Fe Chapter 2 | Prev | Contents |