Coke Ovens Arboretum
Leetonia, Ohio

Believed to have been constructed in 1866, this facility is one of the largest of its kind in the nation. The complex of 200 ovens was erected by the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company, later know as the Cherry Valley Iron Works, to supply fuel for pig iron producing blast furnaces that stood south of this site.

The man-made "beehive" ovens were used to transform hard coal into coke. The "coking" process burnt impurities out of the coal. The end product -- coke -- was the best fuel source for the furnaces that were used to manufacture iron and steel. The facility discontinued operations in the early 1930s at the height of the Great Depression.

Ohio Historical Marker, 1999

Cherry Valley Coke Ovens in 1920's.

Stephen Missik holding shovel.

Inside of coke oven

Coke ovens - railroad used to run in channel where water is today.

Edward and Mary Missik beside coke ovens where his father worked.

View from bridge at northern edge of coke ovens. Water covers channel for railroad spurs surving coke ovens

View looking south toward coke ovens and bridge constructed for park visitors.

United Iron and Steel Company new coal mine at Leetonia -1917. Stephen Missik is father identified in picture.

Pictures taken Sunday August 20, 2000

1909 Topographic Map showing area of coke ovens

Beehive Coke Oven Web Sites

Historic Dunlap Coke Ovens Park (Tennessee)

Historic Blockton Beehive Coke Ovens (Alabama)

History of Coke (Indiana County, Pennsylvania)

Manufacture of Coke at Salem #1 Mine Coke Works (Pennsylvania)
explanation of coke making process