Chicago, ILL. -- Alt. 590, pop. 3,396.808. Located on the west shore Lake Michigan, at mouth of Chicago river. Eastern Terminal Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway System, whose trains arrive and depart from Dearborn Station. The 41 railway lines entering Chicago represent 40 per cent of the mileage of the United States; there are 16 belt lines with 2,122 miles of track; 160 railway yards, 6 major Union Stations, 73 freight stations, and 85 locomotive terminals.
Area of Chicago, 212.8 square miles. Park area, 7,328 acres; boulevards, 227 miles; 208 large and small parks' 97 municipal playgrounds, 13 bathing beaches, 3 natatoriums. Its 1,535 miles of surface, elevated roads and motor coach routes carry average of 2,500,000 passengers daily.
An important industrial city, Chicago is the nation's outstanding meat packing center; the Union Stockyards located here covers 500 acres and employes 25,000 persons. The famous Chicago Board of Trade has made this a center for grain marketing. Lumber too, is important with one lumber yard covering 40 acres. Among numberous other industries located here is the South Water Market, one of the largest of its kind in the world. This market is operated jointly by the Santa Fe Railway and the Illinois Central, and handles approximately 100,000 cars of fruits and vegetables a year.
Executive offices of the Santa Fe Railway located here, with the president and other ranking officers and their staffs occupying approximately seven floors of the Railway Exchange Building on Michigan Boulevard. Santa Fe maintains important Diesel locomotive shops here in addition to roundhouse and operating facilities to keep its fleet of transcontinental passenger and freight trains in tip-top running order.
University of Chicago, Northwestern University, De Paul University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Jewish People's Institute, Loyola University, and Loyola Academy are chief educational institutions with approximately 14,000 teachers and enrolls over 500,000 children annually. Chicago noted for fine hotels, theaters, libraries, "skyscraper" office buildings and public edifices, including the Art Institute, Chicago Stadium, Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum of Natural History, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Chicago Academy of Sciences, Chicago Historical Society.
The Santa Fe Railway follows a southwesterly direction 231 miles across the northern part of Illinois. From Chicago tracks run through valley of Des Plaines River to Millsdale station, beyond Joliet. Through this valley also is built Chicago Drainage Canal and old Illinois-Michigan Canal. Chicago Drainage Canal was begun in September, 1892, and finished January, 1900. Length of main channel 39.16 miles, depth of water 22 feet, and width 162 to 200 feet; total excavation, 44,005,647 cubic yards; capacity 300,000 cubic feet per minute; cost about $44,000,000.
McCook, ILL. -- Alt. 607, pop. 467. From McCook to Joliet are limestone deposits several hundred feet deep; large rock-crushing plants from McCook to Storey on west side of tracks; also two oil refineries and steel construction plant.
Lemont, ILL. (means "Little Mountain") -- Alt. 594, pop. 2,582. Two aluminum products plants; view of Drainage Canal; oil refinery 3 miles west. Also on Alton R. R.
Lockport, ILL. -- Alt. 570, pop. 3,383. Locks, hardware factories, oil refinery and cereal mills. Controlling works of Drainage Canal are half mile below depot. Also on Alton R. R.
Joliet, ILL. (named for Louis Joliet, French Canadian explorer) -- Alt. 537, pop. 43,000, ("Greater Joliet," 75,000) County seat of Will County. Mammoth steel and wire mills, coke ovens and oil refinery. Boilers, stationary engines, paper cartons, calendars and novelties, matches, stoves, wall paper, paints, magnesite for stucco, and horse shoes manufactured here in large quantities. Illinois state penetentiary -- new buildings cost several million dollars. Controlling works and dams of Drainage Canal 3 miles north. American Institute of Laundering, national research headquarters. $2,375,000 high school; public library built entirely by local contributions. Also on Alton, C. R. I. & P., E. J. & E., Mich. Cent., C. M. & G. Rys.
Millsdale, ILL. -- Alt. 523, pop. 20. On east bank of Des Plaines River.
Cross Kankakee River
Coal City, ILL. -- Alt. 572, pop. 1,850. Coal mines; 2 clothing factories; 1 wall paper mill; 1 foundry. Also on Alton Ry.
Streator, ILL. (named for early industrialist, Dr. Streator) -- Alt. 625, pop. 18.500. Following products manufactured here -- building and paving brick, milk and soda water bottles, auto parts, banana crates, sewer pipe, clothing, draintile, washing machines, auto truck dump bodies, and hydraulic hoists. Superior grade of shale for clay products. Carnegie Library, Y. M. C. A., Elks Building, Streator Club, and Masonic Temple, 14 churches, four parks, two golf courses. Starved Rock, 18 miles from city. Also on C. B. & Q., Alton, and Wabash Rys.
Cross Vermillion River
Ancona, ILL. -- Alt. 630, pop. 125. Stock-raising district; pure bred Guernsey cattle. Junction point Santa Fe branch to Pekin.
Toluca, ILL. -- Alt. 702, pop. 1,412. Montgomery Ward clothing factory.
Cross Illinois River
Chillicothe, ILL. (Indian name) -- Alt. 515, pop. 3,521 for Chillicothe and N. Chillicothe combined. Santa Fe operating division terminal and busy service point. Good fishing and duck hunting in season. Illinois River, crossed east of Chillicothe, is first navigable stream reached after leaving Chicago, with water traffic via Mississippi River to Gulf of Mexico. Santa Fe bridge is 750 feet long, four spans, with approaches of 600 feet. Most of gravel used in ballasting Santa Fe double track line, Chicago to Kansas City, was taken from gravel beds west of Chillicothe station. Four washed sand and gravel plants, one of which is the largest in the world. Transfer point for bus to Peoria. Also on C. R. I. & P. Ry.
Princeville, ILL. (named for Daniel Prince, early settler) -- Alt. 743, pop. 1,000. Canning factory, also farm and stock raising region. Also on C. R. I. & P. Ry.
Dahinda, ILL. (Indian name) -- Alt. 596, pop. 175. On Spoon River. General farming.
Galesburg, ILL. (named for founder George W. Gale) -- Alt. 755, pop. 30,000. County seat Knox County. Scene of memorable Lincoln and Douglas debate, October 7, 1856. Educational and industrial center, to which rich farming and stock-raising country is tributary. Public Library, Knox College, Whiting Hall, Brown's Business College, St. Mary's and St. Joeseph's academies. In north timber, on headwaters of Henderson River, is located City Park. Largest paving-brick industry in U. S.; one plant alone having output of 100,000,000 bricks annually. Manufactured products include: rolling garage doors, fire doors, farm gates. Two large wholesale grocery houses, and two wholesale fruit and vegetable houses. Two large creameries.
Cameron, ILL. -- Alt. 783, pop. 250. Two miles northwest is site of Fort Butler, built and occupied by settlers at time of Black Hawk War, 1831-32. Stock raising and farming.
Stronghurst, ILL. (named for President Strong and Vice President Hurst of Santa Fe Ry. at time city founded) -- Alt. 672, pop. 699. Farming and stock-raising region.
Lomax, ILL. -- Alt. 549, pop. 520. Canning factory. Also on C. B. & Q. Ry., T. P. & W. Ry.
Dallas City, ILL. (named for U. S. Secy. of War Dallas under President Polk.) -- Alt. 533, pop. 1,250. On east bank Mississippi River. Grain elevator (cap. 45,000 bu.), and feed warehouses. Industries: mattress and button factory; moulding sand mine; Agril lime stone, and rock quarries; commercial fishing on extensive scale; farming and stock raising. $35,000 recreation park, bathing beach. Also on C. B. & Q. Ry.
Pontoosuc, ILL. (means "Boat Landing") -- Alt. 533, pop. 143. Mississippi River may be seen north of tracks.
Cross Mississippi River
Fort Madison, Iowa. (carries name of early fort that was named for President Madison) -- Alt. 524, pop. 14,088. On west bank of Mississippi River, Santa Fe crosses Mississippi River from Illinois to Iowa on new eight-span steel bridge, 3,330 feet long which cost $5,500,000. The new bridge has the longest and heaviest swing span ever built and is double-decked to accomodate both vehicle and railroad traffic. Backwater from great dam at Keokuk has widened river, forming a lake 40 miles long by over 3 miles wide; electric current is furnished from hydraulic power plant at Keokuk. On right as city is entered is stone chimney erected by D. A. R., to mark location of government penitentiary. Industries include: Paper mills; hand implement factories; also buttons, fountain pens and paper boxes manufactured; vegetable canneries. Branch of E. I. Dupont De Nemours and Co. Also on C. B. & Q. Ry.
Shopton, Iowa -- This is one of the important mainline shops and division point on Santa Fe, all trains stop here for fuel and servicing. Leaving Shopton the old town of Nauvoo may be seen on east bank of river, surrounded by vineyards and orchards. Nauvoo was founded by Mormons who later emigrated to Utah.
Cross Des Moines River
Dumas, Mo. (named for person sellng land to railroad) -- Alt. 558, pop. 20. Just before reaching this point the Santa Fe crosses Des Moines River, boundary line between Iowa and Missouri; bridge is 900 feet long.
Wyanconda, Mo. -- Alt. 753, pop. 544. Farming and hog raising. Cross Wyanconda (Waken-da) river.
Gorin, Mo. -- Alt. 700, pop. 320. Cross North Fabius River.
Hurdland, Mo. (named for Mr. Hurd, city founder) -- Alt. 826, pop. 325. General farming. Also on Q. O. C. & K. C. Ry.
La Plata, Mo. (means "Silver Waters") -- Alt. 913, pop. 1,421. Stock raising and farming. Transfer point for Kirksville, Mo., the home of osteopathy and A. S. O. Hospital, 14 miles north. Still-Hildreth Osteopathy Sanatorium located at Macon, Mo., 22 miles south. Also on Wab. Ry.
Ethel, Mo. -- Alt. 807, pop. 340. Extensive corn-raising region. Chariton river 3 miles east.
Bucklin, Mo. (named for railroad chief engineer) -- Alt. 910, pop. 837. Highest point on Santa Fe between Chicago and Kansas City. Also on C. B. & Q. Ry.
Marceline, Mo. (named after daughter of first resident) -- Alt. 857, pop. 3,448. Founded by the Santa Fe in 1887; headquarters Santa Fe Missouri division. Coal mining center.
Rothville, Mo. (named for first merchant of town) -- Alt. 693 pop. 200. On yellow creek. Farming and stock raising.
Cross Grand River
Bosworth, Mo. (named for a former Santa Fe civil engineer) -- Alt. 747, pop. 600. Farming and stock raising.
Carollton, Mo. (named for Charles Carroll, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence) -- Alt. 664, pop. 4,008. County seat of Carroll County. On Wakenda creek. Monument erected by U. S. Govt. in memory of Gen. James Shields, hero of three wars, northwest of station. First Mormon war in this region in 1838. Santa Fe enters Missouri river bottoms, rich as Nile Valley. State children's home. Also on C. B. & Q., Wab. Rys.
Hardin, Mo. -- Alt. 692, pop. 821. Important shippng point for live stock, grain, and poultry. 2 elevators here with cap. 75,000 bushels. Also on Wab. Ry.
Henrietta, Mo. (named for Mrs. Henrietta Watkins, with of city founder) -- Alt. 693, pop. 544. Missouri River is 3 miles south; to left, on south bank of Missouri River, is the town of Lexington. Near here battles were fought during the Civil War. Junction point Santa Fe branch to St. Joseph. Also on Wab. Ry.
Camden, Mo. -- Alt. 707, pop. 407. Oldest river town in Missouri. Coal-mining district. Potato shipping point. Also on Wab. Ry.
Cross Missouri River
Sibley, Mo. (named for Geo. C. Sibley, government agent) -- Alt. 782, pop. 250. Fort Osage was established here in 1809, during Osage Indian war; one of the eastern terminals of Old Santa Fe Trail, beginning, 1827. Rebuilt Santa Fe steel bridge across Missouri River, eight-tenths of a mile long and 135 feet high. Farming, stock raising and fruit growing.
Courtney, Mo. -- Alt. 756, pop. 110. Established with coming of Santa Fe. Prior to that time a ferry landing near the sight of present Liberty bridge. Truck farming and livestock raising. Unlimited abundance of limestone.
Sugar Creek, Mo. -- Alt. 756, pop. 1,627. Located on south bank of Missouri River. Cement plant and oil refinery; cement furnished for Union station in Kansas City. Jesse James once made this section his headquarters.
Kansas City, MO.
Kansas City, Kan. -- Alt. 804; pop. Greater Kansas City, 608,186. Located at confluence of Missouri and Kansas rivers, metropolis of MIssouri Valley. Missouri section has population 462,616 and Kansas section 145,570. Kansas City, Kan., is county seat of Wyandotte County. The Kansas City Union passenger station erected at a cost of $50,000,000. Main building cost $6,000,000; it is 510 feet long by 150 feet wide and rises 125 feet above the plaza; the grand lobby is 242x103 feet, and the waiting room wing 410x160 feet, with room for 10,000 passengers at one time; the train sheds are 1,370 feet long and cover platforms for 16 tracks; 160 passenger trains arrive and depart daily.
The area of Kansas City is 60 square miles and in this area are 1,000 miles of paved streets, 26 parks comprising 3,678 acres. Water plants, owned by municipality, are worth $27,000,000 and other public property an equal amount. There are 295 churches, and 100 public school buildings with 73,896 pupils enrolled. One of the nation's most modern auditoriums located here seats 24,000 persons.
Kansas City, Mo., was originally Westport, the beginning of the old Santa Fe Trail. The city owes its beginning to the early-day fur trade and water transportation on the Missouri River beginning in 1808; first steamboat from St. Louis reached site of Kansas City in 1820. Kansas City was founded in 1839, Independence in 1827 and Westport in 1833. Ground for the first railroad was broken in 1860; first passenger train entered the city from east September 25, 1865, and from west November 28, 1864; first bridge across Missouri river was opened in 1869. At Westport Landing (now within corporate limits) was fought an important engagement during the Civil War; 29.000 men were engaged on both sides.
Today 12 trunk-line railroads center here. Kansas City ranks first in sale of agricultural implements, in sale of seeds, as a hay market, as a primary winter wheat market. It ranks second as a live stock market, and meat packing center, grain market and flour output; third in poultry and egg business and soap manufacture, eighth in bank clearings, eleventh in postal receipts. Headquarters of oil producing and refining companies. Great lumber market.
Kansas City Stock Yards cover 238 acres and can handle an average of 175,000 animals daily. There are 41 grain elevators with storage capacity 62,182,000 bushels. The various flour mills have daily capacity of 29,324 barrels. The largest mail order establishments in the world have located plants in Kansas City. Also on C. B. & Q., Alton, C. G. W., C. M. St. P. & P., C. R. I. & P., Fresno Lines, K. C. Sou., M. K. & T., Mo. Pac., U. P. and Wab. Rys.