As noted on page 47, while still in New Jersey, Moses purchased property on the Potomac River in Cabin Run, Hampshire County, Virginia on September 4, 1779. Cabin Run is just across the Potomac River, not far from village of West Port [later Westernport]. Westernport had its origin in Washington's Potomac Company. It was the most western point on the Potomac River that could be navigated by flat boat.
It is difficult to reconstruct the movements and life of the Moses Tichenal family from 1780, when they moved there, up to and during the time their son David was away in the militia. There are no records to tell us how or where they lived, but it is assumed they built a home and farmed the land. The family may have lived there about three years, until just before January 14, 1783, when Moses sold the same property back to Job Bacorn for £50.00 and 12 shillings. (Job Bacorn had sold it to Moses for £500.00 in 1779.)
It may seem strange that Moses, whom we presume to be a good business- man, would lose so much money on the property in three short years. But we must remember these were trying and inflationary times. The exchange of money for property was much different in the colonial days and the first 50 or so years after the revolution, then it is today, especially on the frontier. Barter was common, merchandise was paid for chiefly in the bulky produce of the area [grain and corn, sometimes converted into whiskey to reduce the bulk].
Money and banks of any kind were scarce. Whenever a round silver dollar was available, it was quickly cut into 8 wedge shaped fractions called bits. (Some cutters would cut the coin into 9 or 10 parts, thereby securing an quick profit). While this practice was never officially sanctioned, it was common and popular. Hence "two-bits" became the common name for one quarter. Even as late as the 20th century the name was still in use, as in the famous rhythmic line, "Shave and a hair cut, two-bits."
As mentioned in a previous chapter, the Revolutionary War had caused the value of money to fluctuate wildly. For example, by 1779 the Continental Bills issued by the Continental Congress in 1775 had dropped in value so much that the expression "not worth a Continental" became a synonym for worthlessness. In 1790, Congress agreed to redeem the bills in bonds at the rate of 100 to 1. Because of these fluctuations, we cannot deduce the value of the property from the recorded amount Moses paid or received. However, he obviously bought when inflation was high and money low in value and sold in a depression period.
There is no record of more land purchased by Moses in "The Glades" of Garret County, Maryland in 1782, but I think he moved his home from Virginia to the Glades 100 district (now Bloomington) soon after the war was over. David had been discharged in 1782 and was back home. In 1783, Moses sold his property in Cabin Run, but he probably moved before he sold the property, as he was not listed in the June 1782 Hampshire County census.
Stephen Schlosnagle, in his book, Garret County, A History of Maryland's Tableland said:
"The early pioneer settlers were farmers, hunters, and herdsmen. They established their homes in the woods, cut the trees, farmed the land. They supplemented the food from the soil with wild game of the forest.
They built sawmills and gristmills and pastured large herds of cattle in the open glades. Eventually the glades were fenced, the wild game thinned, and the farm thrived. Communities were established; schools and churches were built."
From various records such as census, court, will, and land transaction, and notes from other authors, we find that Moses or his sons did all of those things. Moses died in 1796, only 16 years after he arrived in the area, but he, managed to acquire considerable property and start many activities. One of his sons, Joshua, stayed in Maryland, and his descendants still farm land which may be the land the land that Moses owned. Another son, Stephen, stayed close by in Preston County, West Virginia and his descendants also still live in the area.
Moses' son, David, continued to move west, and settled in Clarksburg, (W) Virginia. David's sons and grandsons continued the western movement and were among the first settlers of Missouri, Arkansas Territory, California and the Oregon Territory.
Stephen Schlosnagle's book describes the many Glades in the area before 1800 as:
"large level valleys of land covered with wild meadows of waist high, blue tipped grass growing from wet marshy soil.
The ridges between the meadows were heavily timbered with white and red oak, white and yellow pine, sugar and curly maple, wild cherry and birch, black and white walnut, wild cucumber and chestnut. The tall grass grew intermixed with wild flowers of all varieties and colors; song birds of many types - flitted from tree to tree.
It was a grand sight to watch the tall grass, rolling in beautiful waves with every breeze. Herds of deer skipping and playing with each other. The country abounded with Wild Turkeys, deer, bears, panthers, wolves, catamounts, foxes, rabbits, pheasants, wild bees and trout in all streams without number. The whole face of the country was like a beautiful sheet of wallpaper, variegated with all shades of color."
The mouth of the Savage River and the North Branch of Potomac River.
Cattle being driven across The Potomac at low tide to graze in the Glades In Maryland
1993 MAP of MINERAL COUNTY, WEST VIRGINIA showing Cabin Run and where the Savage River and the West branch of the Potomac River meet at the corner of BLOOMINGTON, in GARRETT COUNTY, MARYLAND and LUKE and WESTERNPORT, in ALLEGANY COUNTY, MARYLAND
In 1779 when Moses Tichenor purchased 500 acres of land on Cabin Run and moved to Virginia Mineral County was part of Hampshire County, Virginia and Allegany County, Maryland included Garrett County.
It is no wonder the pioneer settlers liked what they saw, nor is it any wonder the Indians fought to keep them out. [While some of the area is built up today, Garret County is still a beautiful rural area with many parks.] Along with many others, Moses must have thought the Glades would be perfect for feeding cattle and drove his cattle across the Potomac to graze in the glades before he moved there.
It is said that before 1796 many hundred head of cattle were driven yearly from Virginia and Pennsylvania to graze there. It is said the herders would pay the settlers to tend large quantities of cattle for them, for which they paid 50¢ to 75¢ per head. The practice became so pervasive that it destroyed the Glades. Range wars were even fought to stop the practice.
Moses surely explored the Glades shortly after he arrived. The property he purchased in Cabin Run lay on the Virginia side of the North Branch of the Potomac River, a few miles downriver from the point where the mouth of the Savage River fed into the North Branch. It was close to Keyser in (W) Virginia, Westernport, Luke, and Bloomington in Maryland, and the Glades are directly west and South and across the North Branch of the Potomac River.
In the assessments of 1789 Moses owned Lots 1 & 2 at the mouth of the Savage River. He or his sons owned and operated a saw mill, a grist mill, and a coal mine at the mouth of the Savage River sometime before 1790. He played a part in the early industry that sprang up around the area. When he died in 1796, his estate had more than 265 acres of land around the mouth of the Savage River. Some of the land is now occupied by the town of Luke and is part of the site of The West Virginia Pulp and Paper mill. (See maps and pictures of the area, pages 57, 58, 60, & 61.)
West Port became the industrial center for the area. The use of the river was seasonal, mostly during the spring tide when the river was above normal stage and the boats were less likely to flounder on the rocks and boulders in the stream bed. When the river was low, especially up stream from the mouth of the Savage, cattle could be driven across to graze in the Glades. At first the flatboats carried flour, whiskey, country produce and coal. Later there was much more commerce in coal and timber.
Making the boats was one of the industries of the area. The flatboats were usually about eighty feet long, thirteen feet wide and three feet deep. They carried twenty to twenty-five tons and were manned by four men. When weather conditions promised a boating stage in the river, the boats were loaded from accumulated piles of coal in order to send off all available boats as rapidly as possible. The coal was taken to Georgetown. There the coal was unloaded, and the barge broken up and sold for lumber. The men walked the hundred and sixty miles back to West Port. (It is likely Moses acquired the property around the mouth of the Savage River where it empties into the Potomac River to build a lumber mill and participate in this business.)
Several historians try to navigate the Potomac River in a recreated flat boat.
Artist conception of flatboat traffic on the North Branch of the Potomac River and the West Fork of the Monongalia River in the early 1800s.
Farmers converted grain into whisky. Shown here being transported down river.
An old receipt for mashing corn. "Twenty eight gallons of hot water to the bushel of corn, the next day three tubs, one gallon of mault to the tub."
In 1782, coal was discovered around George's Creek. Moses' son, Joshua, and his family, lived in the George's Creek area during the 1800 census, while David and Stephen lived in The Glades. In the slack season on the farm the men would dig coal from the exposed seams on the hillsides and haul it in wagons to West Port, there to be loaded on flatboats and floated down the Potomac.
In 1784, Maryland and Virginia authorized money, "To survey, cut and clear, improve and keep in repair a road from the waters of the Potowmack (early name for Potomac) river to the Cheat and Monongahela rivers." The new interstate road connected Winchester, Virginia through Romney on the way to Clarksburg and Morgantown, Virginia. It passed through Garrett county, Maryland from the mouth of the Savage River to the river Cheat at Dunkard Bottom. It followed the old Glades path, one of the old Buffalo trails into the Glades.
The road was finished in 1785-86 and was the main outlet for the Glades country until 1851 when the B & O R. R. reached Harrison county. (The first railroad line in the Maryland area started from Baltimore in 1828 and reached Cumberland by 1831, ahead of the canal.)
A chain of inns and taverns were built. The first was at the mouth of the savage river. Extra horses were kept there to be hitched to freight wagons for help up the grade to Pattison farm. There the extra horses were unhitched and they returned with wagons traveling east. (Moses, and/or his sons, must have worked at this activity as he owned property at the mouth of the Savage river.)
At the top of the mountain, where the road descends Swanton hill, stood Castle Inn, so named because the rock formation seen east from the inn, resembled that of a castle. The inn is long gone, but the rock formation remains. A spectacular view of the valley can still be enjoyed while traveling east. Thomas Walcut, writing about a trip over the road in 1796, speaks of the inn as being one of the finest. The guests dined from fine china and enjoyed every comfort.
Today this is State Route 135. The original road through Bloomington went up the hill past the church. This was one of the main roads west and predated the national road (Route 40).
Stephen Schlosnagle, in his book Garrett County also said:
"In 1787 Colonel Francis Deakins was authorized to survey and lay out 4,165 fifty acre lots for war veterans in western Maryland. He started near the mouth of the Savage River and numbered the lots from 1 to 4,165. The rougher mountain terrain was excluded from the survey. Only the glades, valleys and table lands, were laid off. The Deakins' report filed December 10, 1787, listed 323 squatters claiming 636 surveyed lots. Only about 50 of these settlers were located within the land area that later became Garret county. The rest lived on the lands that later became Allegany County.
In 1787 all the settlers who lived in western Washington County were given the right to buy their clams at the rate ranging from five to twenty shilling per acre. Most refused to purchase their lots, many from lack of money and subsequently relocated.
Squatters living near the mouth of the Savage River in 1787 included Charles Queen, Patrick Burns, Charles Boyles, Joseph Davis, George Fazenbaker, Moses Tichenal, Johanes and Michael Paugh, Henry Kite, Joseph Warnick, John Ryan, James Dennison, and John Streets. Charles Queen was the first settler on the site of what later became the village of Bloomington. He claimed lots #1 and #2 before Moses.
Moses Tichenal lived on lots 1879 and 1880. These lots were awarded to him, (as mustering out pay) and as a settler. Lot number 1878 was awarded to Henry Kemp." (David saw service with the Virginia Militia was never awarded any of the lots.)
Of the more than 4,000 military grants surveyed, only 2,575 were actually allotted to veterans. Most owners sold their lots to speculators. The plots were sold at an average price of twelve Dollars. (24¢ an acre)
After 1787 it became the policy of the state to dispose of the land as rapidly as possible under the belief that through private ownership the property would be developed, used and added to the existing tax base. The release of reserved lands initiated a ten year period of rapid settlement. In the two years following 1789, the western districts of Maryland were so well populated that the General Assembly authorized the formation of Allegany County from Washington county.
At the same time, the northwestern half of present day Garret County was designated Sandy Creek Hundred as a unit of local administration for levying taxes, etc. In 1790, when the first federal census was taken, Allegany County had a total population of 4,800 people. 258 of whom were black slaves. Only a few score slaves lived within the present domain of Garrett County.
The last decade of the eighteenth century and the first decade of the nineteenth witnessed great growth and development in far western Maryland. Garrett County's first communities and neighborhoods. were formed along the North Branch of the Potomac, in the midst of the rich Youghiogheny Glades. They were the eight communities of Bloomington, Kitzmiller, Ryan's Glade, the Green Glades, Deer park, Altamont, Pleasant Valley and Sunnyside.
In 1791 the western Indians again went on the rampage against intruding white settlers. One settler said, "Things went well enough until word came that General St. Clare's whole army had been defeated and cut to pieces (in the Ohio country).This was such frightening news, that some were ready to leave and seek some better place of safety, but things quieted down soon and things were back to normal."
The homes of the early settlers were built of logs and chinked with clay. Roofing shingles were originally made from oak and pine with drawing knifes. Homesteads developed into farms complete with houses, barns, sprig houses for cooling of dairy products, and sundry other outbuildings, Sawmills were built for cutting of timber.
Groups of men would gather for house and barn raising and other activities needing concerted effort. They would bring their families for the day; it would be a social event. News and ideas would be exchanged. Other gatherings would be for corn huskings and making maple sugar and syrup. In time a log meeting house was built in which to worship, meet as friends and neighbors."
Map showing the fifty acre lots laid out December 10, 1787
by Colonel Francis Deakins.
Note location of Moses' lots 1, 2, 3, & 313 at the mouth of the Savage River and lots # 1779 & 1780 in the glades. Also Andrew Buckalew's lots #65 & 68 .
Enlarged section of map showing where the Savage River, George s Creek and North Branch of the Potomac River meet near Moses' lots#1,2,3 and 313.
The Mount Zion Methodist Church in Chestnut Grove must have been one of these meeting houses. It is the second oldest church and school community in Garrett County. In the 1780's a log building was erected at Mount Zion east of Backbone Mountain near Elk Lick Creek for use as a church and school. It may have been used as a church until the present one was built in 1902.
In the early days it must have been serviced by the early Methodist circuit riding preachers. This is most likely the church that Moses and his family attended. It is the church that his son, Joshua, and his descendants attended and may still attend.
In church records dating back to 1788 we find the Paugh and John Ryan families. John Ryan was an early immigrant in Garret County and a glade is named after him. He also fought in the war in the Continental Army of New Jersey. Margaret Titchenal married a James Ryan (perhaps a son or brother of John Ryan) after her husband Moses died. Margaret Ryan was living in Monongalia County, Virginia in 1818.
In January 22, 1798, the records show a Will Magruder left to Norman Magruder $225 and 100 acres (military lots #10 &11) near John Ryan's "old" place. Perhaps John Ryan died or sold his place, and he or James moved to Virginia before 1798.
Several of the Paughs also intermarried with the Titchenal Family. The first Tichnell recorded in the Zion Methodist Church is Moses II (probably the son of Joshua and grandson of Moses Titchenal). In 1830, he married Nellie Abernathy and settled on a farm in the Chestnut Grove neighborhood. Many of Moses' descendants stayed and still live in the Glades area (50 or more in 1986).
Origin of the Chestnut Grove Church
Mount Zion is the second oldest church and school community in Garret county. It was established during the four-year ministry of Bishop Asbury of the Methodist Church in the mountains of West Maryland and (West) Virginia 1781-1784.
A log building was erected at mount Zion east of Backbone Mountain near Lick Creek for use as both a local church and school. The 1788 records list Honis, William and Joseph Paugh, James Gilmore, Thomas Madden, John Price, John Sheets, John Ryan, John Dixon, Evan Turner and Happy Trubee as men who built the old log building.
The first Moses Titchenal must have been living near there at the time, but he is
not listed. However his grandson, Moses Tichenel II, married Nellie Abernathy in
the church in 1830. He settled in the Chestnut grove nieghborhood, where he became
a prominent farmer. He was one of the original Trustees of the Methodist
Espicopal Church South.
The heroes of early Methodism were the circuit riding preachers. There home was their horse as they traveled from community to community and from home to home.
The name Chestnut Grove came from the chestnut trees that grew and bore nuts in great quantities in the area. The Shawnee Indians were in the Chestnut Grove area before the white settlers. Arrowheads can still be found when fields are plowed. There is a large (Indian Mill) stone on the Tichnell property whereon the Indians ground their corn.
Stephen Schlosnagle continues:
"The early settlers founded farms and grew wheat. Rye, buckwheat and corn were staples. Wheatened flour was reserved for holidays, pies, etc. The grain was sowed by hand in soil prepared by hoes and shovel plows, and spike and spring-tooth harrows. Horses provided extra power. The shovel plow eventually gave way to the moldboard plow, but the harrows remained,
Meshach Browning, an early settler said, 'The most dangerous of the Glade country reptiles is the rattlesnake; which lives by its cunning, and can charm, birds, squirrels, rabbits, chickens, etc. I have slain thousands without being bitten, but I was always prepared. I would wrap my legs up to the knee with long grass twisted into ropes, which they could never bite through.' The settlers were also plagued at times with vast flocks of grain-eating pigeons. Sometimes they were so numerous they darkened the sky in flight and broke tree limbs at roosting time."
Early roads were rough, stony paths cut through forest and glade for passage of wagons and horses. Grass grew wild between their ruts. Rainwater swept away the top soil and left deep trails between their banks. In 1807, a road was opened from Selbsport east to Swanton. The new trail served local settlers for many years as an outlet to markets at Westernport and Cumberland.
Old maps (page 66) show the location of the military lots. Lots 1 & 2 are easy to find on a modern map, but it is difficult to pinpoint the other property (Lots 1879 & 1880) today, as the land marks that were on the old maps have been changed or dropped.
The land likely lies south west of the town of Bloomington. Drive southwest on Swanton Road Route 135, past Walnut Bottom Road (on the right) to where Route 495 cuts off to the left to the town of Swanton. After Swanton, Pine Hill Road cuts off to the right (or northwest). I think Moses' lots were along this road or Sweitzertown Rd which cuts off Pine Hill to the right across Pine Hill Run (Creek).
An article from the Mountain Democrat, Oakland, Maryland in May 27, 1937 said:
"Coming from Fairfax, VA. (Cabin Run), with his family, shortly after the Revolutionary War, Moses Titchenal settled in Allegany County, the new county of Western Maryland. (Now Garret County) He drove his cattle from Virginia to pasture in "The Glades" of Maryland during the summer months prior to settling there.
In 1788 Moses was on a list of Military Lots surveyed for the state of Virginia by Francis Deakins. Moses was granted 180 acres in Hampshire County on the North Branch of the Potomack River in the Allegany Mountains by deed from his excellency the Governor on July 31, 1789.
Moses is not found on the 1790 census of Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Virginia. Records of Allegany Co. Maryland and Virginia are missing. He is not on the tax list published as a substitute for the Virginia census. But in 1790 Moses was granted 40 acres of land on the north branch of the Potomac River from the state of Maryland on 13 of September 1790."
Moses' oldest son, David, married Mary Buckalew (maybe Buckalieu or Buckaloo) about 1790. He was about 26. Their first son, John R. Titchenal, was born on April 7, 1791.
The Buckalew, Titchenal and Matheny families were close friends and lived close together in those early days. There were several cross marriages between the families. Helen Hutchinson of Toledo, Ohio (she is a descendant of Andrew Buckalew) supplied much of the information about the Buckalew family. She also had information about David and Mary's first two sons, John and William, who married into the Buckalew family, including the only record of John's birth date.
It is said the Buckalews descended from the Buccleuchs and came from Scotland in 1448 to France, as part of the staff and attendants of Mary Queen of Scots. After living there for three generations, they left France to come to Perth Amboy, New Jersey, about 1665.
Andrew Buckalew, Mary's father, was born about 1731-1741 in New Jersey. The Buckalews may have been in the area before Moses and were close neighbors. They lived a few miles south of what is now Bloomington, near what was once called Coal Hill. It may be on what is now known as Old Bloomington road. As opposed to Bloomington Hill Road, Route #135. (See map page 66.)
It is believed Andrew's fathers name was Samuel and he was killed in the Revolutionary war. (A Buckalew family that operates a restaurant in Long Beach, New Jersey (1989), has a family story that was passed down about a Buckalew that was shot for being a spy for Washington. If it is true, it would likely be Samuel.
We may never know if Andrew's father was killed as a spy. But if he was, it is interesting to read what G.J.A. O'Toole said in his book, Honorable Treachery about American spies for Washington during the revolution:
"As a nation we have always clung to the idea that we are somehow above subterfuge, and that the deceit and Machiavellian machinations so common in European capitals have do not have a place in an open and pluralistic society.
The record shows otherwise, we haven't always done well, but the willingness has certainly been there. George Washington, with his rag tag army badly outnumbered by the British, appreciated the value of intelligence, even though the early efforts of his agents he sent behind enemy lines were decidedly amateurish. The highly regarded officer Nathan Hale was one of those early spies. Hale was so ill suited for his role, which he personally found ungentlemanly and distasteful, that he never bothered to concoct a cover story, and didn't even keep his mission a secret from his own troops. A few days later he paid for his incautious behavior with his life, captured as a spy by the British. By the end of the war, however, Washington had developed a cadre of tough, experienced and fearless agents who kept him informed of British intentions and movements, and played a key, though little recognized, role in some of Washington's greatest victories."
If Andrew's father Samuel was a spy for Washington, he would have been one of this cadre of men.
Andrew had another brother, John, who moved to western Pennsylvania in 1773. The records are very scarce, but it is thought Andrew may have had as many as 14 children with two wives, Sarah Parker and Jane Fling. Mary (Polly), (David Tichenal's wife) was Andrew and Sarah's second child, born in New Jersey about 1767-68. Their first son, Samuel, was born in New Jersey around 1761.
As evidence of the closeness of the Buckalew, Matheny and Titchenal families. Stephen Titchenell, Moses' youngest son, married Lydia Matheny (maybe Elizabeth's Matheny's sister) and Margaret Buckalew married Daniel Matheny (maybe a brother of Lydia and Elizabeth).
In addition, Andrew's third child, Parker Buckalew married Elizabeth Metheny. Both he and his brother, Samuel, moved to Coshocton, Ohio about 1817 and are buried in the Buckalew (or Buckaloo) cemetery in Clark Twp. This was about the same time we think John R. Titchenal (David and Mary (Buckalew) Titchenal's first son left for Missouri. Maybe his uncle Parker's move encouraged John to leave when he did.
David Titchenal's second son, William R. was born in Allegany County, Maryland about 1792. It is not known if he went to Harrison County, Virginia with his family in 1810. However, when he was about 22 years of age, he enlisted in the Twelfth Regiment of the Infantry on April 2, 1814. His military records list him as a farmer, five foot eleven inches in height, dark complexion, blue eyes, dark hair. He was honorably discharged as a sergeant on March 4, 1815 and given his discharge papers at Winchester, Virginia, March 18, 1815. (for more information on William and a copy of his discharge papers, see Chapter XI.
He married Margaret Hunt about 1818 in Green County, Pennsylvania Interestingly enough, Margaret Hunt was Andrew Buckalew's granddaughter, the daughter of William and Rachel (Buckalew) Hunt. (Rachel was the seventh child of Andrew.)
Either the Buckalew's had good genes or they lived the correct life style. Margaret was born in Green Co., Pennsylvania in 1796. In the late 1820s she moved to the Alton Illinois area with her husband William R. Titchenal. They had six children. William died there Aug. 29, 1838, and Margaret married Jacob Thompson.
Margaret outlived Jacob, all but two of her own children, and even several of her grandchildren. It is said she died at the age of 107 in 1903. She was active up to her last day, walking a mile to see her grandchild and then a mile back the day before she died. Another descendant of Andrew, Noah Andrew Buckalew, was born in 1868 in West Virginia. He died at the age of 102 in 1970.
Andrew Buckalew did not serve in the War. It is said he accidently cut off part of his foot, maybe this kept him out. It is doubtful this had anything to do with his death. He probably died of an illness. He and his second wife Jane, died within a few hours of each other in late 1804 or early 1805. (Helen Hutchinson has a receipt for two coffins and winding sheets for their burial.)
By 1792, Moses was ready to start a growth business together with his sons. David was married and 28, Joshua was yet not married, but was 24, nor was Stephen married at 20. Moses saw the property at the mouth of the Savage River as strategic to river traffic business such as saw mills, grist mills, shipping and loading docks, etc.
On February 13, 1792, Moses bought 52 acres of land west of the mouth of the Savage River. The land conveyed to him at the time was Military Lot #1, originally awarded to Charles Queen, a settler, but patented to Aron Royce (or Rice) and called Aron's Lott. The price paid was £150, including improvements.
Moses also acquired Lot # 2 (date unknown) at the mouth of the Savage River. This land, had also been originally awarded to Charles Queen. Later Moses acquired other tracts of land near Bloomington, 268 acres in all. This acreage included the river bottom, where the West Virginia Pulp & Paper Company is now located (1992).
It is believed Moses also was allotted Lot # 313 which had a mill seat and was across the Savage River from Lots 1 & 2. If he was allotted Lot # 313, he may have had to buy it from John Richie, because it was later discovered that the lot had been part of Rich's glade and was patented to John Richie before it was allotted to Moses.
On July 23, 1792 Moses and wife Margaret sold the 180 acres of land on the North Branch of the Potomac (which they had received from the state of Virginia in 1789) for £220. The deed was recorded in Hampshire County July 31, 1792.
In August 1792, Moses Titchenal of Allegany County also bought 300 acres of land in the Fayette District, Salt fork Territory, Kentucky from Jonathan Swift of Fairfax County, Virginia for 20 schillings.
About that time Moses may have received a letter from his brother, Daniel, who had traded his property in New Jersey for 2500 areas of land in Kentucky about 1790. Daniel's letter could have told about how disappointed he was with Ohio county in Kentucky and the fact that he thought the Green River country was a waste and a wilderness fit for the beasts of the forest, not a white man within 50 miles. He didn't think it would be fit for his family in his lifetime.(1)
Daniel had left Morristown with his family for Kentucky the same month he singed the trade with his Commander. They had traveled by wagon to Pittsburgh where they obtained a boat and descended the Ohio river to Limestone (now Maysville) where they landed. Even though there was much talk of Steamboat travel on the river in 1790, they proceeded by wagon to Nelson County, where they built their cabins on Cox's Creek, near Bardstown. The trip to Nelson County would have taken them through Fayette District, so Daniel may have seen the Fayette area and told Moses about the beautiful blue grass that grew on the plains in the Fayette district
Maybe Moses' bother, Daniel, influenced Moses to purchase land in Kentucky. Whatever the reason, Moses bought the property. It was a bargain. There is no record of Moses or his descendants going there, but there is some speculation that Joshua or David visited the property for a short period, and maybe sold it, as there is no other record of it again. Moses should have kept it, since, the city of Lexington is in Fayette, County and it is the "Kentucky Blue Grass Country." His 300 acres could be worth millions today
Footnotes for Chapter IV:
(1) From the book The Tichenor Families in America by Harold Tichenor: Daniel never took possession of the land in Kentucky in person, but bequeathed it to his sons, some of whom lived there afterwards. Daniel bought 60 acres of land in September 1795 on Plum Run in Nelson County and died there in 1804.
How Daniel found out about the wilderness conditions in the Green River country is not Known, Maybe he proceeded ahead of his family to inspect it and decided to settle for a while in a more hospitable place and stopped to build in Nelson County.